Thursday, February 11, 2016

My Visit to the Lake City Monument and Oak Lawn Cemetery

      I went to Lake City today to see the Battle of Olustee Confederate monument in downtown that was erected in 1928. While I was admiring the monument I looked at the base and discovered more confederate soldiers were buried at Oak Lawn Cemetery 10 blocks down the road. I love it when I find breadcrumbs like this! So off I went to find Oak Lawn Cemetery. What I discovered when I arrived caught me off guard. I found a large well cared for section with bright green grass dedicated to the unknown Confederate Soldiers. There were rows and rows of tombstones with no names on them. These were the unknown Confederate soldiers who died in the Battle of Olustee. At the entrance of the confederate section was a large monument dedicated to these soldiers. A large flag pole stand there with the Stars and Bars flying and at the front of the rows of tombstones was the last Confederate window's gravesite. She is buried there with the soldiers looking over them. What an amazing experience it was today.

      During the Civil War Lake City was important for the Confederacy's supply and transportation. Several railroads ran through the area making Lake City a town the CSA must keep. The Battle of Olustee is reenactment is done every year and is very popular. However this year there are planned protest by the misinformed public who are influenced by what they see on TV. Hopefully the event will go off without any issues and everyone can still have fun! 

Below is a video of my travels today.



Lake City Confederate Monument in Downtown section



Unknown Soldier Memorial and gravesites in Oak Lawn Cemetery



No comments:

Post a Comment