Thursday, February 18, 2016

Palatka Florida visit

     My visit to Palatka Florida today was amazing! My first stop was the Confederate Monument in front of the Putnam County Courthouse. This monument stands tall and proud right in front of the courthouse.  As I walked up to the courthouse I could see around the base of it are cannon balls and artillery shells. The monument was erected in 1924 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy.










From the monument I went in search of more civil war history in the area. I came across St Marks Episcopal Church. This church was built in 1846 and was used by the Union as a barracks. During the war the church was heavily damaged and repaired to its original condition and is still used today.

St. Marks Episcopal Church
As I continued down the street I came across the Bronson - Mulholland House. This is a beautiful home that was originally owned by District Judge Isaac Bronson. He died in 1855 and is buried on the property. During the civil car this home was used as the Union and Confederacy.


After my visit to the Bronson - Mulholland home I was told about Westview Cemetery. In this cemetery there are 49 CSA soldiers, 20 Union soldiers, and 11 U.S. Colored Troops. The cemetery is a short drive southwest of the Bronson - Mulholland house. As I walked the cemetery I was happy to see the CSA and Union soldiers all had been flagged. This is a beautiful cemetery full of history.


Palatka has rich civil war history. I highly recommend a visit to this town.

No comments:

Post a Comment